Saturday, July 21, 2007

What I've Been Up to This Week

As I said in my one sad post from earlier this week :-) this is the first week I have actually been at home and in my own bed and my own office all week in quite some time. So I took it upon myself to try and make some progress at my grandparents old house. It is the same town where I live and I lived there for six years rent free while I was in school. My brother lives there now but he will be moving shortly and we need to sell it.

As is usually the case, I tried to do more than I could possibly get done but I did make some progress. I cleaned and cleaned... some of the stuff probably hadn't been cleaned in 10-20 years! I bought new curtains for three rooms and cleaned windows to the extreme. I also cleaned my old bathroom and installed new hardware there.

Here is my favorite accomplishment. This is the dining room at the start of the week. I had already taken down one of the two curtains when I remembered to take the picture.


Here it is today after my brother moved all of his junk out... after cleaning the window... Scooba-ing the floor (think Roomba that mops tile and hard wood floors)... cleaning the baseboards... putting up new curtains from Target... cleaning the chandelier... borrowing a rug (that is somewhat too small) from my Study... and borrowing my brother's Ferrari print (because it matched the color scheme). It didn't take a huge amount of work but it looks a ton better.

I am officially threatening the life of anyone in my family who messes this room up! :-) I spent today painting... and I may fire myself as a painter. It did not go as well as planned. I was hoping to show you a picture of my old room with it's newly painted wall (an accent wall painted with Ralph Lauren River Rock paint) but it is going to need a second coat.

The giant living room is on it's way as well. I painted the ceiling (which took a whole gallon of paint) and replaced the curtains today. I'll save the before and after of that room until it's a little more complete.

I'm exhausted and have to get up about 4:30 to get on a flight to St. Louis in the morning. I will post my Weekend Reflections tomorrow.

5 comments:

Marsha said...

I'm sooo tired (for you) after reading all that! My, my - I think you might be in the running for a second career - interior restoration and decorating. Nice job, Kerri! Godspeed on your trip!
grins,

Leslie said...

That's unbelievably better. I have to say that your before picture does not accurately show the room. There was sooooo much more stuff in there a mere few weeks ago. You have done a whole lot more than the photo even shows :)

Amberly said...

Wow, girl! You must be exhausted! The dining room looks great and I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the house! Have a great trip to St. Louis! When will you be back?

Anonymous said...

You sure got a lot accomplished!!

Totallyscrappy said...

I love the curtains.